Five-Foot Long Tapeworm Found Inside a Sushi Eater’s Body

tape worm

If you are a sushi lover, now might be the time to take a pause and rethink about your love for this exotic seafood delicacy. Eating raw fish could be associated with serious tapeworm infections, a fact that has been giving sashimi and sushi fans nightmares over the last few days. If raw fish is a part of your diet, how worried should you be?

Enormous Tapeworm in a Man’s Body

sushi

A patient recently turned up at the emergency department of a Californian hospital with a plastic bag, and no, it was not a stool sample. The contents of the bag left the doctors more baffled than worried. What they saw inside was a 5ft 6in tapeworm wrapped around a toilet paper tube. This tapeworm was self-extracted from the man’s rear that had him worrying for his life.

The patient experienced abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea when he noticed some strange entrails hanging out of him. He tugged at the thing until it kept coming out, imagining it to be a part of his intestine, when to his horror it started wriggling in his hands.

The good news for the man, after discovering that the “thing” in question is a giant tapeworm (that may have been the result of his daily diet of salmon sashimi), is that he isn’t dying.

The World’s Talking about It

sashimi

Needless to say, as all things quirky, this piece of news took to the media and soon the whole world has been talking about it. According to tapeworm specialist and a researcher at National History Museum’s life sciences department, Peter Olson, that the worm is called broad fish tapeworm that requires more than one host to breed.

Consuming uncooked salmon is the principal source of getting it, according to experts. Earlier it was thought to be a problem unique to Asian countries. However, in 2017, the CDC released a warning to North American fisheries that they were also exposed to this risk. The wild salmon sourced from Alaska showed signs of this parasite, revealed CDC researchers in a study.