Is your go-to store out of hand sanitizer? Not to worry, you can make it yourself with items that you might already have at home. Below are two recipes for homemade sanitizer. The first one, which is recommended by the World Health Organization, is more of a gel and not as soft on your hands. The other recipe is gentler on your hands and is closer to the one you can purchase at the store. You choose which one you prefer.
It is worthy to mention that nothing is as effective as simply washing your hands with hot water and soap for 25 to 30 seconds, but since you are not always near a sink, using hand sanitizer is better than nothing at all.
World Health Organization Hand Sanitizer Formula
1 cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol
1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1 teaspoon of 98% glycerin
¼ cup, 1 tablespoon, and 1 teaspoon (or 85 milliliters) of sterile distilled or boiled cold water
- 1. Sanitize the bottle you are going to store your hand sanitizer in. Rinse out with water and alcohol. Set aside to dry.
- 2. Pour the alcohol into a container with a spout.
- 3. Add hydrogen peroxide.
- 4. Add the glycerin and stir all the ingredients together. Glycerin is thicker than the hydrogen and alcohol so this will take some stirring. You may also want to put a lid on the container and shake it to make it easier.
- 5. Pour in the water.
- 6. Pour your hand sanitizer into the bottle you previously sanitized.
- 7. Label your bottle, you do not want it mistaken for something else.
Gel Hand Sanitizer Formula
1 cup of 91% isopropyl alcohol
½ cup of aloe vera gel (natural or store-bought)
15 drops of tea tree oil (or another antibacterial essential oil)
- Sanitize the bottle you are going to store your hand sanitizer in. Rinse out with water and alcohol. Set aside to dry.
- Pour the alcohol into a container with a spout. (Note- using isopropyl alcohol diluted beyond 91% will create a weaker hand sanitizer that does not meet the CDC’s recommendations)
- Measure and pour aloe vera gel. Alcohol is hard on the skin, adding the aloe vera can help nourish your skin. You could also use aloe vera straight from the plant.
- Add the essential oil. Tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial.
- Mix all the ingredients together. You will need to whisk and beat as the mixture will be thick.
- Label your bottle, you do not want it mistaken for something else.