When you think of mold, what comes to mind is likely that sandwich you left in the fridge too long that ended up going bad. However, mold comes in many forms, and when it comes to the harmful varieties, oftentimes taking care of the problem is not as simple as just tossing some food in the trash. If you have a mold allergy, for example, things can definitely get interesting, due to the nature of how mold grows, and even travels (yes: sometimes it gets airborne. Here’s a guide that will teach you about mold and how to handle it.
Symptoms of a mold allergy are similar to a cold in some respects. They include sneezing and a runny nose, may lead to itchiness in the facial features, and congestion. They can also trigger certain respiratory reactions if you have a condition like asthma. Fortunately, this isn’t the case all the time; generally, when left alone while it is growing, mold is ‘harmless’ unless disturbed. However, when it’s time to reproduce, spores can become airborne, causing the aforementioned symptoms. The best way to deal with mold is environmental control; limit moisture in the area, and keep your home well ventilated.
It goes without saying that if you’re trying to prevent mold, dehumidifiers are a key tool in your defense. Mold needs moisture to thrive; drier environments will make it more difficult for mold to grow. Ideally, you should strive to reduce humidity by 65 percent, but lowering it just by 55% will help. Remember, both the type of dehumidifier and the placement of it matter if you want to get maximum results. Place it in locations most likely to have mold (cool, damp places, like basements), and ideally, use one that empties itself via a hose, so it’s fire and forget.