Top Things You Need to Know About Medicare Enrollment

Medicare Enrollment

When a person reaches a certain age, they must prepare to enroll in Medicare. However, prior to starting enrollment, there are some things you need to know about the process. In this article, we will explore what you need to know about Medicare enrollment.

7. When Can You Enroll in Medicare?

Medicare Chalkboard

Most people can enroll in Medicare when they turn 65 years old. However, some people who are under the age of 65 can also enroll in Medicare if they had previously been receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or certain Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) disability benefits. They must have been receiving those benefits for at least 24 months prior to enrollment.

6. Certain Medical Conditions and Medicare Enrollment


If you suffer from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), then you can enroll in Medicare. There is no waiting period and no age requirement. Also, if you have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), then you might also qualify for Medicare.

It is important to learn the different ways that you can potentially qualify for Medicare. Sometimes your employer can help you better learn about your eligibility.

5. Automatic or Manual Signup for Medicare

Medicare Signup

Depending on the situation, some people can qualify for Medicare Part A (also referred to as hospital insurance and Part B (known as medical insurance) and gain automatic enrollment. However, others often must enroll.

Anyone who is disabled and living in either the United States or a U.S. territory (such as Puerto Rico) become automatically enrolled.

Usually, when eligible for automatic enrollment, you will receive a packet a few months before your 65th birthday or you become eligible via Social Security Disability or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefit, which occurs after 25 months.

Anyone who is not collecting Social Security or who has been deemed ineligible for Social Security will not gain automatic enrollment. Instead, they must sign up.

If you live in Puerto Rico or a foreign country then you’ll have Part A, but in order to gain Part B you must complete the Application for Enrollment in Part B (CMS-40B). You can also obtain the form in  Spanish (PDF).

Home > > top-things-you-need-to-know-about-medicare-enrollment


HealthiGuide © 2020