Sometimes danger lurks behind a seemingly innocuous, or even beautiful, exterior. This sad fact is true of both humans and plants. You know to warn your children against the danger of friendly, kind-looking strangers with lost puppies. Unfortunately, danger can also be hidden beneath the lovely hues and sweet scents of the plants growing in your own yard. Keep an eye out for these plants. If you suspect poisoning, call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.
The flowering oleander shrub displays beautiful flowers. However, the leaves of this bush contain a deadly poison. According to HGTV, ingesting just one leaf of this poisonous plant can be deadly to a child.
With their cheery yellow blooms, daffodils are a welcome sign of summer. However, Poison Control warns that every part of this sunny plant contains the poisonous chemical lycorine. Ingesting a daffodil can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain. Furthermore, the bulb of this plant contains oxalates, which can burn and irritate the tongue and digestive tract.