The beautiful bell-shaped flowers and red berries of the foxglove plant make a lovely addition to gardens in Europe and the United States. However, every part of this plant is poisonous when ingested. The toxin contained in foxglove is digitalis, a potent heart medication. The Canadian Medical Association Journal reported on an elderly couple who suffered cardiac glycoside poisoning after eating foxglove leaves they had mistaken for salad greens.
8. Virginia Creeper
Virginia creeper is a vine that grows in eastern and central North America. According to Poison Control, the leaves and purple berries of the Virginia creeper contain oxalate crystals, which can be poisonous if chewed or swallowed. Reactions to eating this plant may include swelling and irritation of the lips, mouth, and throat.
The oxalates in this houseplant, Dieffenbachia, can cause pain and swelling of the mouth and throat when ingested. According to CBIF, the painful effects of this plant are often noticed before it is even swallowed. Furthermore, some individuals suffer from inflammation and irritation from handling the plant with their hands.Related: These 12 Houseplants Can Improve Your Health and Air Quality