Oven Door

One of the least favorite household chores is undoubtedly cleaning the oven. The process is a messy and difficult necessity. It is imperative that you frequently remove baked-on food which releases carcinogens when heated and burning. Also, the stuck-on oils and grease can pose a fire hazard if not removed.

Off-the-shelf oven cleaners might effectively carry out the job of removing the debris, but they are not without risk. The cleaners are loaded with toxins, which can upset your respiratory function, make you feel lightheaded, and burn your skin if the harsh, corrosive chemicals meet the delicate tissue.

If you need to clean your oven, then you do have options such as natural and green oven cleaning products. It might take a little more elbow grease to get the job done, but at least you won’t be using harsh cleaners.

Standard oven cleaners contain a combination of lye and ammonia, which remove layers of your skin, and the fumes can harm your lungs. The unpleasant smell of chemical-based oven cleaners will linger in the air and can even impact the flavor of your future recipes. The food could become completely contaminated and toxic due to the impact of the cleaner.

4. Dangers of Easy-Off and Mr. Muscle Oven and Grill Cleaners

Oven Interior

Both Easy-Off and Mr. Muscle Oven and Grill Cleaners contain poisons that create harsh fumes, which impact your breathing and cause swelling in the delicate tissue of your throat. Users often experience throat pain, burning eyes, runny nose, vision impairment, ear problems and disorders of the lips or tongue such as swelling.

The stomach might also be impacted when you use such strong cleaners. You could experience abdominal pain, vomiting, bloody stool, fainting, organ damage, and low blood pressure.

Dangerous chemicals found in commercial oven cleaners include:

  • Monoethanolamine (MEA)
  • Glycol ethers
  • Alkyl phenol ethoxylates (APEs)
  • Butane
  • Diethylene glycol monobutyl ether
  • Monoethanolamine (MEA)
  • Sodium hydroxide (lye)

Volatile butane can lead to sudden sniffing death when inhaled, which causes cardiac arrhythmia/arrest after exposure.

Lye, another common ingredient, is used to decompose carcasses. The sodium or potassium hydroxide in the lye quickly breaks down the tissue of the carcass. However, it can destroy live human skin after prolonged contact.

3. Self-Cleaning Ovens

Your Oven

Modern ovens often boast a self-cleaning feature, which is ideal because you can avoid dangerous toxins when cleaning the interior of the appliance. However, you must follow the directions on how to use the feature because it can produce dangerous carbon monoxide. Ideally, you should always leave the home during the self-cleaning process (don’t forget to take your pets with you).

The Teflon coating found inside of the oven will also release harmful fumes during the cleaning process, which occurs at 600 degrees Fahrenheit. If you inadvertently inhale the burning Teflon, then you can experience breathing problems or flu-like symptoms.

Loading...

Comments

Social Sharing

HealthiGuide

Site Info

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Pinterest

Subscribe

HealthiGuide © 2020