6. You Hear a Loud Hissing When You Open the Can

Can Opener

Some canned items make an effervescent sound when opened, but most canned foods don’t produce any noticeable sounds. You should be alert if you hear any loud hissing while opening any can of food.

Before tossing the can away, keep in mind that some food items are vacuum packed, and the hiss is likely due to air pressure. But if the hiss is loud and the can’s content spurt out, the food is unsafe to eat.

These sounds can be produced by a toxin like Clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism. This is a severe illness causing the paralysis of respiratory muscles and even can result in death.

5. You See Corrosion

Rusty Can

You should instantly get rid of your canned food if you spot small rusty patches or holes on it.
Corrosion is caused when the cans aren’t handled properly and stored in either moisturized zones or places with fluctuating temperatures.

Rusted food cans are harmful in two possible ways. First, the rust can produce chemicals like Bisphenol A, or BPA, making the food toxic. Second, rust compromises the can material and makes tiny holes, providing a path for bacteria to invade the food and making it unhealthy and dangerous for you to eat.

4. You See a Dent or Leak in the Can

Dented,can,on,a,white,background

Dented canned food is not suitable for you to consume. Not only will dents compromise the seal, but they can also damage the protective layer inside, which prevents the direct contact of food with the metallic can.

There is a protective layer inside the can to prevent the direct content of food with the can. If the can is dented, then the layer is broken, and the food can come in direct contact with metal.

Dents cause the rapid shift of air pressure inside the can, weakening the container’s protective seal, and it may allow the bacteria to invade the food and make it unhealthy. Plus, as we mentioned before, this can end up causing rust and other chemicals to invade your food.

Likewise, If you find any leakage on the can, get rid of it straight away. It means there’s some breakage in the sealed environment of the can, providing a way for microbes to enter the can and make it poisonous.

Comments

Social Sharing

HealthiGuide

Site Info

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Pinterest

Subscribe

HealthiGuide © 2021