Pasta salad is one of our favorite non all veggie salads to consume. It’s not exactly the best way to lose weight, but it will give you enough carbs to give you energy for the entire day. We’ve discovered an awesome recipe that combines pasta salad with a zing of orzo.
- 6 ounces orzo
- 1/4 to 1/2 cups pesto, to taste
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped roasted peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped olives (I like salt-cured black olives)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cups caramelized onions, to taste
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1 handful salad greens of choice (I like baby kale and mustard greens)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt well, then cook orzo, stirring occasionally, until tender but firm, about 7 or 8 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain well again.
- Toss the orzo with the pesto. sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, olives, caramelized onions, and lemon zest. Taste and adjust salt and lemon, adding juice as needed. Serve over salad greens.
Image & Recipe Credit: Food52