Cod is a pretty healthy fish to consume on a regular basis. We found a great recipe that incorporates an asian zing to it while still maintaining its healthiness.
- 1/2 cup Asian pear juice (or apple juice)
- 3 tablespoons red miso
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon umeboshi (preserved plum) paste or mirin (rice cooking wine)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2- inch peeled ginger,
- chopped 3/4 pound black cod
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a blender.
- Marinate the fish — I used a boneless filet — for at least 12 hours and no more than 36 hours.
- Either smoke the fish for 3 hours, wrap it in foil and grill for about 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or bake skin side-down at 350° F for about 20 minutes, then broil the top for 2 minutes.
- I served it with Chinese broccoli (you could use broccoli rabe), stir-fried in tamari, ginger, and garlic. I also made a purée of parsnips and sunchokes, with a little bit of cream, and a tiny bit of salt and sugar.