Quinoa is one of the best healthy alternatives for a lot of carbs out there. Recently, my wife started switching us from white rice to brown rice to settling on quinoa. It has definitely made us healthier and lighter on our feet.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken-flavored veggie
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup baby spinch, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1lb ground turkey (optional)
- 4.5 bounces can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion in hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir quinoa with the onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until the quinoa is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan; add bouillon granules, black pepper, and thyme. Bring the liquid to a boil, place a cover on the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and cook at a simmer until the quinoa softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir carrot into the quinoa mixture, replace cover, and continue to cook at a simmer until water is completely absorbed, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir tomato and baby spinach into the quinoa mixture until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir turkey in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir black beans with the turkey; cook and stir until the beans are hot, 2 to 3 minutes; add the quinoa mixture, stir, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more.