We discovered this amazing recipe here that was not only tasty but also relatively inexpensive to make. This serves about a whole family of 4 with plenty of leftovers. Because its made with a mix of chicken and brisket the soup is certain to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jarred beef soup base
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1 (28-oz.) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen white shoepeg or whole kernel corn
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen cream-style corn, thawed
- 1 (9-oz.) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 pound chopped barbecued beef brisket (without sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sauté onions and garlic in hot oil in a 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together beef soup base and 2 cups water, and add to Dutch oven. Stir in chicken and next 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours.
- Uncover and shred chicken into large pieces using 2 forks. Stir in brisket and lemon juice. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
- Note: We tested with Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Beef Base and Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes.
Image & Recipe Credits: MyRecipes