Today we have a pretty special recipe for the Valentine’s day weekend. If your significant other is into steak, this is the perfect recipe for him/her. This recipe is called, “Filet Mignon and Balsamic Strawberries”. This is great for barbeques. The strawberry adds a bit of sweetness that you don’t normally find in steak. Try it out!
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) filet mignon (beef tenderloin)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Mix together the strawberries, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl, and allow to sit for 1 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in an oven-safe, heavy steel or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Sprinkle the filets with salt and pepper on both sides, gently place in the hot skillet, and sear each side until well-browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Slide the skillet into the preheated oven, and cook until they start to become firm and are reddish-pink and juicy in the center, about 10 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Transfer the steaks to a platter, and tent with foil to rest.
- Pour steak juices from the skillet into a small saucepan. Strain the strawberries and discard the liquid. Add the strawberries to the steak juices, bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-low heat, and melt the butter into the sauce, tilting the pan several times to gently incorporate the butter into the sauce. Serve each fillet topped with about 1/2 cup of strawberries and a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
Recipe & Image: