Kale is super nutritious. It is low in saturated fat, low in cholesterol. It’s a good place to find fiber, protein, Thiamine, Folate, Iron, and numerous of other Vitamins. Today, we’ve discovered an amazing Kale recipe. It’s called Kale & Bulgur Salad with Brown Butter Apple Vinaigrette. Try it out below and let us know what you think.
- 250 grams (about 8 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) bulgur
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, thick stems removed, sliced into thin ribbons
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, gently crushed with a chef’s knife
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes, or more to taste
- 2 crisp eating apples, cut into 1-inch cubes, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or additional 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1 medium sized or 2 small sweet potatoes, cubed and roasted
- 2 ounces Gruyère, coarsely grated
- Pour the bulgur into a medium heat-proof bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring at least 2 cups of water to a boil in a kettle or small pot, then pour it over the bulgur. Let sit for 10 minutes, then drain and fluff. Prepare the kale, then place the ribbons in a large bowl.
- While the bulgur soaks, make the vinaigrette. In a medium-sized skillet, melt the butter. When it’s just starting to color and smell fragrant, add the almonds, shallot, coriander seeds, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until the shallots relax and the butter starts to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add half of the diced apples, 1/2 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar, if using. Cook for about 45 seconds, until the apple has absorbed much of the liquid, but you still have a fair amount of liquid-y vinaigrette in the pan.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the kale ribbons and stir gently so that the kale wilts under the heat of the dressing. Add the drained bulgur, the cubed sweet potato, and the remaining apple. Mix in the grated cheese, taste for salt and lemon, and eat!
Recipe & Images: 52Foods