In an effort to create better and healthier lunch boxes. We’ll be presenting a series of lunch box hacks recipes that we find from all over the web. The third one we will feature is Healthy Creamy Mac & Cheese. Although this recipe contains cheese, the majority of it is made healthy by utilizing Greek yogurt and cauliflower. We think it’s quite tasty as well as healthy. Let us know what you think below!
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Blend cauliflower, yogurt, chicken broth, and olive oil in a blender until smooth; pour cauliflower mixture into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir Cheddar cheese, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg into cauliflower mixture; cook and stir until cheese sauce is smooth, about 5 minutes. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; toss to coat.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Mix Parmesan cheese and panko crumbs together in a bowl; sprinkle over macaroni. Bake until Parmesan cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
Recipe & Image: AllRecipes