We’ve been getting inundated with requests for Mac and Cheese. We think we found a recipe that is relatively healthy but tastes absolutely amazing. Feel free to replace any of the ingredients below with healthier options; however, you may be sacrificing tastes a result. Try it out and let us know what you think below.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed American cheese, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, salt, mustard and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- To the milk mixture add the Cheddar and American cheeses; stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni and cheese sauce in a 2 quart baking dish; mix well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe & Image: AllRecipes