Today we’ve got another 5-star chicken recipe called, “Monterey Chicken.” Chicken is one of our favorite proteins to consume as it is light in calories and high in protein. This recipe is relatively healthy besides the addition of butter and cheese. This meal takes about 3 hours to make, serves 4, and is a little over 600 calories. Avoiding cheese and butter or finding healthier substitutes will drastically lower the calorie count. Try it out!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup teriyaki marinade sauce
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, cut into long slices
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- To Marinate: Place chicken in a nonporous glass dish or bowl. Pour marinade over chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place chicken in a 9×13 inch baking dish and bake preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through and juices run clear. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside.
- In same skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Saute onion, bell pepper and mushrooms for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/3 cup of marinade and simmer until soft. Drain and set onion mixture aside.
- Top baked chicken with bacon strips. Add onion mixture and top each breast with a slice of cheese. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe & Image: