These carved out zucchinis provide the perfect base to be filled with delicious onions, garlic, peppers and tomatoes. Serve with Mediterranean based appetizers such as Kalamata olives, warm pita bread and hummus for a succulent vegetarian meal.
- 3 Large Zucchinis
- 1 Large Sweet Yellow Onion
- 3 Minced Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Large Green Bellpepper
- 1 Large Red Bellpepper
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1 Teaspoons sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Diced Jalapeno
- ½ Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees and prepare a large pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut zucchinis in half after washing thoroughly and with a spoon carve out the majority of the flesh inside the zucchini. Leave around ½-1 centimeter of flesh to keep the base strong while cooking.
- Take your zucchinis and place them on your cooking sheet and put them into your over for 10 minutes then remove and let cool.
- Next move to your onions and cut into 2 inch strips. Do the same for your green and red bell peppers.
- Mince your garlic and add onions, jalapeno, and peppers into a medium nonstick skillet with 3 tablespoons of oil. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes and add in salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Add in your diced tomatoes and continue to cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Brush your zucchinis with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add in the vegetables cooked previously. Top with cheese.
- Place zucchinis stuffed with your vegetables in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!