Today we’ve got a great healthy soup recipe for the cold and flu season coming upon us. It is called “Vegan Tomato Soup.” It is a simple recipe that not only do adults appreciate, but kids also adore. It takes an hour and 5 minutes to make from prep to first taste, serves 4, and is just 140 calories. We recommend adding pepper to the end of this dish for a little bit of flavor. Try it out!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, divided
- Heat olive oil in a pot over low heat and cook onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium, add all tomatoes, and cook until they start to break down, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add vegetable broth, bay leaves, and 1 sprig of basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tomatoes have broken down and soup starts to thicken, about 30 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and cool slightly. Remove bay leaves and basil.
- Puree tomato soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Reheat soup before serving and garnish with basil leaves.
Recipe & Image: