Enjoy this classic Italian dish without the guilt! By replacing lasagna noodles with eggplant, you skip out on all the unnecessary carbs you could have had otherwise. Taste the rich tomato sauce, bubbly Parmesan cheese, toasted breadcrumb coated eggplant, and fresh basil as you fully savor this delicious meal.
Image Credit: Recipeland.com
- 3 Eggplants, peeled and sliced thinly
- ½ Teaspoon fresh basil
- 1 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 Oz mozzarella cheese
- 4 Cups bread crumbs – Italian seasoned
- 6 Cubs of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 2 Eggs – beaten
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Your oven should be heated and ready to go by the time you are finished with the preparation.
- Take your sliced eggplants and dip them in your beaten eggs. Then roll your eggplant slices in the Italian breadcrumbs.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lightly coating the sheet with a non-stick cooking spray. Place your bread crumb coated eggplant onto the cooking sheet and then into the preheating oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side then remove from the oven.
- Next, in a 9x13in. baking dish start by placing a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the dish. Next layer your cooked eggplant slices on top of the sauce.
- Add in a layer of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle on a bit of Parmesan cheese and a dash of basil.
- Repeat until you have used up all your ingredients or the dish is full. Place an extra thick layer of cheese as the top layer.
- Cook for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes.