If you ask a million people what their favorite American food to consume are, I’m betting plenty will say Pizza. The only problem with pizza is that its filled with carbs and cheese which is not exactly the healthiest ingredients to consume. Therefore, we went on a hunt to try to find some of the healthier pizza recipes around. Let us know what you think of the one below.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 small onion, chopped 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup olives
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl. The water should be no more than 100 degrees F (40 degrees C). Let stand for 5 minutes until yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam.
- Sift flour, sugar, 1 tablespoon oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Mix egg and oil into dry ingredients; stir in yeast mixture. When dough has pulled together, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, then place dough in bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a light cloth and let rise in a warm place (80 to 95 degrees F (27 to 35 degrees C)) until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (235 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Cook and stir diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, 1 tablespoon oregano, garlic, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Punch down dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Use a knife to divide dough into two equal pieces–do not tear. Shape dough into rounds and let rest for 10 minutes. Form dough into rectangles, and place onto prepared baking sheet. Spoon tomato sauce over dough. Sprinkle with 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese; top with bell pepper, onion, and mushroom. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese over top.
- Bake in preheated oven until crust is browned and crisp and cheese has melted, 20 to 25 minutes.