Everybody loves sliders. Today, we bring to you an awesome vegetarian recipe we found online that substitutes the meat you ordinarily would find in sliders for a healthy vegetarian alternative. Try it out below and let us know what you think!
- 2/3 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs dill, chopped
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 16 slider buns, split
- In a large saucepan (with a lid) over high heat, combine the wild rice and 4 cups vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and sauté until very soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat and fold in the chopped dill.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine the tahini, dates, oregano, cayenne, mustard, and remaining 1/4 cup vegetable stock and blend until smooth.
- Add the tahini-date paste, the bread crumbs, and the sautéed vegetables to the bowl with the wild rice and fold together until combined. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Using your hands, shape 1/4 cup of the mixture into a ball and then gently flatten into a patty that is about 1-in thick. Transfer the patties to a plate and continue to form patties with the remaining mixture. Cover and refrigerate the patties for up to 24 hours or cook them right away. Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to medium heat. Arrange the patties on the grill, cover, and cook, flipping once, until warmed through, 12 to 15 minutes.
Recipe & Images: Food52